Welcome to the Marrieds Ministries of the Hampton Roads Church! Here's an overview of our resources from Shaun and Joyce McDonnell. Look below for some recent events and tools for marriage.
Check out our recent Marriage Retreat, "The Vow"
Videos from Drs. Michael and Mary Shapiro's classes are now available.
Love & Respect Challenge for the Coastal Marrieds Ministries
Here's the downloadable worksheet for the husbands and wives involved in the Love & Respect Challenge taking place in the Coastal Region from August 4 through September 1.
Rules for the Challenge:
Marriage Workshop Challenge
- Each wife should review the list of LOVE challenges on page 2. Add two personal challenges if you like. These two challenges will be worth 1 point each or more if you trade points with another challenge.
- Each husband should review the list of RESPECT challenges on Page 3. Add two personal challenges if you like. These two challenges will be worth 1 point each or more if you trade points with another challenge.
- A wife may “trade points” between two LOVE challenges. For example, if a wife more highly values a “massage without an agenda” than “cleaning the bathroom”, she may trade the points between these two categories - making the massage 5 points and the clean bathroom 1 point. She may do this 5 times. Please make a note on both your copy of the Challenge brochure and on your husband’s copy. - - The same rule applies for a husband regarding the RESPECT challenges.
- SPECIAL EXCEPTION for DEPLOYED SPOUSES - spouses may assign up to 15 points to each of the special deployed challenges.
- After reviewing the challenges, each wife should check mark her TOP TEN LOVE challenges. Husbands will do the same for the TOP TEN RESPECT challenges. If a husband or wife successfully completes all the TOP TEN, he or she will receive a one-time ONE HUNDRED POINT BONUS.
- In order to earn the points associated with a specific challenge, a husband or wife must:
- FIRST - alert your spouse that you’re about to encourage them with one of the challenges (that is, you need to “call your shot)
- SECOND - give a sincere whole hearted effort toward the completion of the challenge and try to build your spouse up according to their needs
- THIRD - ask your spouse to make a “tally mark” or tick mark next the completed challenge in the “Tally” column (you may complete each challenge more than once)
- Keep your total score updated so that we may publish the points of all wives vs. all husbands participating in the challenge at each weekly workshop (bring your Challenge Brochure with you to each midweek)
- The challenge will last four weeks. Winners will be announced on Tuesday Sept 1, 2015. The losing team will prepare a talent show to be performed on August 8. Keep your total score in the boxes on the front page.
Recap of our 2015 Marriage Retreat: 7 Principles for Making Marriage Work with Ron and Linda Brumley
Ron and Linda Brumley, longtime elders in our San Diego church, equipped our marriages with their biblical insight, compassion and wit. Here are the videos and handouts from their lessons:
Rocking The Roles
What is God's design for marriage? Is it archaic and outdated? Or does He really provide the key for us to have meaningful and dynamic marriages when we see and live out the roles He has for us? What are these roles we are meant to fulfill in our marriages? How does the Bible address these roles? These are the basis for a series of Marriage lessons that Shaun and Joyce McDonnell will be having based on the book "Rocking The Roles". These lessons will take place over the next several months in the different Regions here at Hampton Roads. Below you will find a link to listen to these lessons on line.
Resources for Leaders:
A lesson on getting Back to Basics for Married Bible Talk groups by Phil and Ayhanna Booker