Humility & Pride
It’s most difficult to see our need when blinded by pride. It’s difficult to receive a scriptural challenge unless we are humble… Proverb 3:11 My child, do not despise the Lord’s discipline or be weary of his reproof. Proverb 9:7 Whoever corrects a scoffer wins abuse; whoever rebukes the wicked gets hurt. A scoffer who is rebuked will only hate you; the wise, when rebuked, will love you. See also Proverb 10:10, 15:12, 19:25, 28:23. Amos 5:10 They hate the one who reproves in the gate, and they abhor the one who speaks the truth.
- Philippians 2:5-8. The mindset of humility as seen in Jesus... To what degree would you have to humble yourself to approximate Jesus’ transition from God to man? He even humbled himself to the point of a shameful death for our sin.
- 2 Chronicles 34:19-28. After reading about Josiah’s reforms in vv. 1-7, consider his temptation to be religiously proud. How have you taken pride in your spirituality? How does Josiah compare to the kings that preceded and preceded him? Why is it dangerous to compare oneself to others? Despite his Godly achievements, Josiah tore his clothes in sorrow after hearing the Word of God… why? How would he respond to a reproof? How have you responded?
- Deut 8:11-14. When are we most likely to be immersed in our pride? How do good times promote pride? Whom do you credit for your successes? How does success blind us to our real needs? How can you regain sight of your need? What does God do to help us see our need again?
- Psalm 36:1-4. Conceit and arrogance blind us to our sin and prevents conviction.
- Revelations 3:14-20. Why don’t they even realize their pride? How does Jesus make them realize their condition? Why does Jesus do this for them?
- Proverbs 11:2; 13:10; 16:5, 8-9; 21:4, 24; 27:2; 30:12-13. Proverbs on pride
Additional Helpful Scriptures:
- Elencho: Mt 18:15; Luke 3:19-20; John 3:19-20; John 16:8; 1Co 14:24-25; Eph 5:11-13; 1Tim 5:20; 2Tim 4:2
- Humility: Micah 6:6; Psa 138:6; Isa 66:2; 2Chron 32:24-26, 33:12-14, 34:27, 36:12; Matt 18:4; Col 3:12
- Pride: Dan 518-23; Isa 47:10; Esther 6:6; Rom 12:16; 1Cor 5:2; 1Tim 6:3-4; 2Tim 3:2; Hosea 7:10; Psa 10:4, 73:6, 31:23