Time flies. It seems like just yesterday a minivan of seekers would drive all the way to Washington DC every Sunday for worship with likeminded, zealous disciples of Jesus. Today, we would need a minivan that seats a thousand! Let's celebrate what God does has done - and encourage many of our friends who have gone out to spread the Gospel to come home for a weekend festival of gratitude and wonder. Save the Date: August 12-13. On Saturday, August 12, we'll gather for special reunions, cook outs, and games. On Sunday, we'll worship together at the oceanfront at the Virginia Beach Convention Center. Let our old friends know all about it. And encourage new friends to join us and hear of all that God has done. Direct them to hamptonroadschurch.com/hrc25 for updates on the celebration.
The PVC celebrated mightily today as they established an eldership spearheaded by Matt Esmacher, Patrick Jones, and Tom Martin. The Walkers, Stranges and Ed Anton from Hampton Roads Church traveled up the road to celebrate with our sister church in Stafford.
Videos from the recent Holy Land Tour (aka Mike and Ed's Excellent Adventure III) are now available for viewing on our teaching website, CommonwealthAcademy.ca, under the MeatEaters section. Here's a LINK. You'll find on-site lessons from Jerusalem, Nazareth, Sea of Galilee, Mount of Olives, Garden of Gethsemane, Capernaum, Caesarea Philippi, Caesarea, Tel Dan, Jezreel Valley (Armageddon), En Gedi, and Qumran (site of Dead Sea Scrolls discovery).
The Preteens navigated a corn maze, fired corn husks on a shooting range, went for a hay ride, imitated chubby bunnies, enjoyed home made ice cream, and grew through biblical lessons at their churchwide devotional event today.
Dr. Douglas Jacoby travels to Hampton Roads to teach on counter cultural Christianity. This will truly be a Whack Upside the Head from the Bible, because much of what we assume about Christianity today comes not from the Bible but from our Culture. Dr. Jacoby will look at the Exclusive claims about Jesus, plus explore Biblical positions on Authority, Judgment, Obedience, Sexual Relations, and Tolerance.
Please join us! We'll gather at Oscar Smith High School, 1994 Tiger Dr Chesapeake, VA, 23320 from 10am to 3:30pm (with a lunch break) on Saturday, September 26 2015.
Congrats to our sisters in the Coastal Region: Yvette Blai and Popa Mata.
We are heading out to Reach 2016 in St. Louis this summer, who needs a ride? Sign on up for the bus. $50 IS YOUR DEPOSIT ONLY. Total cost is $160 and must be paid by May 1st. The the remainder of the money will be collected by Ricky Shilo.
- Way There:
- Pick up: July 6th, 2pm 1132 Pickett Rd. Norfolk
- Drop off: July 7th, 9am St. Louis Convention Center
- Way Back:
- Pick up: July 10th, 2pm St. Louis Convention Center
- Drop off: July 11th, 7am 1132 Pickett Rd. Norfolk
Rules for the Challenge:
Marriage Workshop Challenge
- Each wife should review the list of LOVE challenges on page 2. Add two personal challenges if you like. These two challenges will be worth 1 point each or more if you trade points with another challenge.
- Each husband should review the list of RESPECT challenges on Page 3. Add two personal challenges if you like. These two challenges will be worth 1 point each or more if you trade points with another challenge.
- A wife may “trade points” between two LOVE challenges. For example, if a wife more highly values a “massage without an agenda” than “cleaning the bathroom”, she may trade the points between these two categories - making the massage 5 points and the clean bathroom 1 point. She may do this 5 times. Please make a note on both your copy of the Challenge brochure and on your husband’s copy. - - The same rule applies for a husband regarding the RESPECT challenges.
- SPECIAL EXCEPTION for DEPLOYED SPOUSES - spouses may assign up to 15 points to each of the special deployed challenges.
- After reviewing the challenges, each wife should check mark her TOP TEN LOVE challenges. Husbands will do the same for the TOP TEN RESPECT challenges. If a husband or wife successfully completes all the TOP TEN, he or she will receive a one-time ONE HUNDRED POINT BONUS.
- In order to earn the points associated with a specific challenge, a husband or wife must:
- FIRST - alert your spouse that you’re about to encourage them with one of the challenges (that is, you need to “call your shot)
- SECOND - give a sincere whole hearted effort toward the completion of the challenge and try to build your spouse up according to their needs
- THIRD - ask your spouse to make a “tally mark” or tick mark next the completed challenge in the “Tally” column (you may complete each challenge more than once)
- Keep your total score updated so that we may publish the points of all wives vs. all husbands participating in the challenge at each weekly workshop (bring your Challenge Brochure with you to each midweek)
- The challenge will last four weeks. Winners will be announced on Tuesday Sept 1, 2015. The losing team will prepare a talent show to be performed on August 8. Keep your total score in the boxes on the front page.
Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.” (Acts 2:38, NIV)
This Sunday, May 31st, the entire Hampton Roads Church (all regions) will gather at the Chesapeake Conference Center at 10am for a special service and study of Luke 15 - "He Wants You Back!" There will be special messages for those who have stumbled or drifted in their faith walk with God. Please join us.
So he got up and went to his father.But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him. (Luke 15:20 NIV)
More good news from the Peninsula Teens:
On May 3rd, the Sunday following our ACR wide Teen Prom, the Hampton Roads Church experienced an incredible service lead completely by teens. The weather was incredible, and the teens were used by God in an incredible way as they preached the Word and encouraged everyone who attended.
"But you have been washed, you have been sanctified, you have been justified in name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God." — 1Cor 6:11. Welcome to the body of Christ, Kobe, David & Samantha, Caleb, Margarita, Alex, Bruce & Ebony, Lindsay, and Chanel!!!
Way to go Destiny, Brandon, Leslie, and Milan! They just completed their series of biblical studies with a keen desire to "deny self, take up the cross, and follow Jesus."
Join us on the first Saturday of each month as we serve a great group of men of women who have fallen on hard times. We meet at Nehemiah's Nook at 29th and Washington St. in downtown Newport News at 8:30am. You'll have a chance to cook up breakfast, engage some great folks in fellowship, distribute clothing and blankets, and talk about the Gospel message, and set up future discipling in the Word.
The women of the Hampton Roads Church (and hundreds of their guests) were guided in a workshop on Forgiveness by Linda Brumley, author of Hand In Hand With God: Finding Your Path to Forgiveness, during the "Let It Go" event. Her lesson is available HERE via video. Check it out and begin a path toward freedom in forgiveness.
Super excited to have Juliette Coveney restored back to God and his family!!!